Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

I Was There

I made a promise to you
To never leave you alone
I have kept my promise to you
Even if it doesn’t always seem like it

I was there before your birth
Before the formation of the earth
I was already there
Though you were completely unaware

I was there on the day you were born
And even as you were waiting
In your mother’s womb
Just waiting to come alive

I was there when you first screamed
I was there when you first shouted
And when you saw the first gleam
Of light you would ever see

I was there as you cried each night
I was not only there for you
But knew exactly what was wrong
And what you were going through

I was there when you first tried to walk
I was there when you fell and cried
I was so very close to you and heard you then
And even the first time you would ever talk

I was there when you almost died
When no one was able to hear you
Though you screamed and cried
I was there protecting you

I was there and I rescued you
From dying that day
I was the one making sure
You were safe all the way

I was there when you came to Me
Seeking My forgiveness
For all of your sins
And I welcomed you into My family


I was there with you in school
On your very first day
When you were too scared
To go out and play with the others

I was there as you continued to grow
And when you cheated on that test
Thinking no one would ever know
But I knew because I was there

I was there the first time you walked away
When you couldn’t take no more
And tried drugs that day
I was there with you

I was there as you turned your back on Me
And dragged My name through the mud
Taking no thought of how I shed my blood
For the things you did say

I was there offering My love to you
Waiting and offering forgiveness
Though you already knew
It was always there, as was I

I was there as you continued
Down the dark path
Though I had saved you from My wrath
You still headed further away

I was there during the hardest times
Even when you were committing
The most terrible of all crimes
I was there with you

I was there for you first heartbreak
And to see you the way you were
It made my heart ache
But I was there listening as you cried

I was there when you got fired
From your favorite job
And when you got hired
For only minimum wage

I was there on your wedding day
Smiling away as you placed the ring
On the hand of the one you love so much
And the one who brings you happiness

I was there enjoying it too
Just like I knew you would
I was there on that wondrous day
Listening to all the excitement

I was there when you had
Your very first child
I was there with you
The first time she smiled

I was there when you came back to Me
Oh, how long I had been waiting
In the distance I could see you coming
And I ran to meet you with open arms

I was there holding you tight
As you confessed your sins to Me
And apologizing for putting up
Such a terrible fight

I was there during the roughest hour
When you cried out to Me saying
“God I have no more strength!”
“I need Your power!”

I was there when all was well
And you were witnessing to others
Warning them of My wrath to come
And the penalty which is Hell

I was there as you stepped into
The pulpit on Sunday
And began to preach My Word
Encouraging others to repent that day

I was there when the doctors
Gave you the terrible news
And they told you there were no options
There was nothing left to choose


I was there in the ambulance
As you were rushed to the hospital
On that unforgettable day
I was there calling you this way

I was there as you took your final breath
And your body gave in to the call of death
But I was with you taking you home
I was there guiding you towards the light

I was there on judgment day
I called out and said
“Bring the Book of Life this way”
I was there as you waited with anticipation

I was there as your name was read
And I got the chance to say
“Well done good and faithful servant”
I was there on that splendid day

I am here with you now
And you with Me Forevermore
Never to be separated again
I am here, present everywhere

~Michael Belliveau~

No comments:

Post a Comment